Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags


Jul. 26th, 2005 03:36 pm
ximinez: (Default)
Took it.

Job offer.

Jul. 26th, 2005 12:01 pm
ximinez: (Default)
Got a job offer yesterday. Two weeks of hunting. Hot damn.

PHP developer for a marketing company. Located in Boca Raton. Starting base salary will be 93% of my previous salary, but there's a lot of potential for solid and quick advancement. The company has about 150 employees, and should bring a level of stability that I haven't had for a few years. I'd start August 8 or sooner. Bimonthly pay cycle.


  1. Benefits start on day 1, which is huge since most places start after 3 months, and my severance coverage will run out by then. Medical and vision (with open access HMO or a POS). Dental PPO. Company paid life insurance, short and long term disability. 401K with 4% matching. Flexible spending account (pre-tax). Available discounted health club membership. 9 paid holidays. Two weeks paid vacation year one, three weeks year two, 4 weeks year 5. One week sick leave, two days "personal leave".
  2. Direct deposit.
  3. If this works out, we'd have a foothold further north to be able to move out of Miami.


  1. 35 mile commute.
  2. Small pay cut.
  3. There's pretty much no way I'd be able to continue at FIU.
  4. Isn't there a rule of thumb about not taking the first offer?

Migitaging factors:

  1. The commute is mostly against traffic, and may end up being the same time or less than my old 14 mile 45-60 minute commute. (Need to leave here early one morning to test that.)
  2. 5 or 6 weeks of severance (depending on when I start) will be about 10% of my old salary. 93% + 10% = 103%, which is more like a very small raise. And the company is switching to a quarterly review / raise cycle, which could put my first raise before year-end.
  3. FAU's main campus is less than 6 miles away.

The delimma: This is my first offer. But it's the best one on the immediate horizon. If I take this offer, I'll get double paid for a few weeks, and can stop worrying about this insane job hunt. OTOH, with 7 weeks of severance left, I have the luxury of being able to wait if I want to. I really don't want to, but I have a strong sense of doubt about whether I should wait for something better.

February 2017

   1 234

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary


RSS Atom

Style Credit

Page generated Sep. 19th, 2017 06:53 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios